That’s right ghouls and boils, it’s that time again. Another TOP list from me, The Film Fanatic. Tonight’s TOP 5 List is reasons to watch “The Addams Family” movies. Sure, they aren’t perfect, and GOD KNOWS they are SO 90’s, but for some odd reason we love them. Granted, the second one was a BIT far fetched, but it proved to be highly entertaining for people who were in need of a good grin or two. So without further ado, here goes:
5. The Oddity That is Fester Addams: So, who would have thought that Christopher Lloyd would be a good Fester Addams? I certainly do. He was a perfect Fester. Bald and stout? Check. Awkward and Unpredictable? Check. Creepy and…well, just plain creepy. He put on a great performance, although I do have a bit of an issue with the first movie. Fester gets lost in the Bermuda Triangle and is found by some random con artist/greedy psycho bitch and is made to believe she is his mother…huh… that’s reasonable. Right? Well, turns out she’s NOT his mother (big surprise there) and she was just using him to get to the Addams Fortune. And then there was the whole issue of Debbie in the second movie. Really, people, I thought it was rediculous to have Fester fall for a mass murdering sociopath, but, hey, the man can’t do anything normal can he? At least in the end he ends up with Cousin It’s new nanny, Dementia. Fester and Dementia, rotting in a tree….
4. Gomez and Morticia: No one can deny that the Addams are a creepy crew, but Raul Julia and Angelica Houston played their roles so perfectly that even I wanted to be around them. Gomez and Morticia have a strange relationship that is fueled by love, pain and intense passion. Morticia kills roses, Gomez destroys miniature diesel trains. Morticia knits creepy clothes for their expected child and Gomez gives his twelve year old a cigar at summer camp. While they are odd, no one can deny that they love one another.
3. Summer Camp: No one can forget their first trip to summer camp… even though the Addams kids wish they could. Nothing was better than watching Wednesday and Pugsley be tormented for weeks. They manage to wreak some havok though as Pugsley kills and American Bald Eagle, Wednesday finds a boyfriend and pretty soon, the brother and sister have burned the camp to the ground…
2. Turkey Day: Speaking of which…Pugsley was dressed as a Turkey…Wednesday was dressed as Pocahontas… How HILARIOUS WAS THAT?! “Eat Me! It’s Thanksgiving Day!” Plus Wednesday’s performance of the sweet Native Girl being completely abolished by the terror that was the REAL Wednesday Addams and her plans for escape were put into motion.
1. The Mamushka: What fun would it be to dance the Mamushka? I would never want to find out. The movie was bad ass because of this scene and I think it was one of the most entertaining scenes in out of both movies combined, I loved this scene so much that I downloaded the song and put it on my iTunes… before my old laptop crashed. Unfortunately I was unable to retrieve it, but I do have the movies to help me remember the Mamushka.
So, there it is. My top 5 reasons for watching the Addams Family movies. I mean sure there are more reasons, but what more do you need than a crazy uncle, two weirdo parents, a blazin’ hot summer camp experience, Turkey Day and The Mamushka?
Until next time kiddies, have fun and I’ll see you on the silver screen.